Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Self-Reminders...

Thus far, on my educational path to become a teacher I have had many inspirations of what I would like my model classroom to look like someday! There have been so many great opportunities already and important pieces of information I never want to forget. So today I decided I NEED to write them all down! These are just little tidbits and (random) pieces of things I've picked up so far... I'm sure it will get updated often! But I honestly think one of the most important things for my future is to build upon the advice of others. So here goes!
Communication: This has got to be by far the most important things I've heard over and over again from MANY sources! I know that I won't have too much trouble with this, however I just need to remember to always keep communication lines open to all parents. Be open with them, and not just when their kids are struggling. Start off with a positive aspect, or maybe even just catch their child being good! Make yourself available and establish a trusting bond with the parents because of course they would love to know every detail of their child!

Technology: If there's one thing that hasn't been more iterated in this class it's keeping up with technology! After watching the video on youtube about "Shift Happens" I feel like this is something very important for us as future educators to focus on, especially going into dealing with this generation. It's a very positive thing and we need to be aware of the capabilities of this generation and the impact of technology. It can be a very useful tool when used correctly. I also found a neat website that talks about the implementation of technology in the classroom and how it's going to be the future. Click Here!

Passion: Of course! Passion is key in teaching! You gotta love what you are doing, every single inch of it, and if you don't love it the kids will know! You must be in teaching for the right reasons, which I believe I am. But like Mr. Riley said teaching can't be about you, it's gotta be about the kids. It was a great reminder than you can't just love the kids, but you must love working with kids. You must be the person in their lives that wants to make the difference. And with that attitude going into teaching I feel like there's be so many lives to reach. I can remember my math high school teacher was such a dork because he loved math so much, but it really made us love it too! In fact he would use all sorts of different things to get us to like math. Check out the youtube clip on the video bar..."What you know about Math?"

Confidence: In my amazing J Term experience of Ed 185 I had the chance to work with a really great cooperative teacher. There was one thing she told me that will never leave my head, "Always be the person you think you are because in teaching it will show if you can’t be yourself, and then you can’t be true to the kids." It's so true! You must have your own self-confidence and know what tasks and goals you want them to accomplish before they can even begin their self-discovery. Elementary teachers are a vital part of young kids' lives and they must start by being confident and trusting themselves in order for anyone else to trust in them. With this confidence, letting your kids to know you is a good thing! Make it personal, and let them know they know you too! They want to be a part of your lives as much as you want to be a part of theirs.

Use Your Resources: I don't think I heard this enough from my cooperating teacher and other teachers of the building as well. There are so many resources available to teachers and we must utilize them to our full potential! So many hands on learning kits and tools have been created to assist in a child's learning and enhance the fun of learning! It's so important to use these available to us. It's not always necessary, but can be a very effective teaching strategy. It helps get the kids motivated and wanting to learn!

Little Pieces: And lastly but not least, work at things in chunks! Take everything one step at a time and applaud even small improvement! Every little step matters...and encouragement is the key to motivating students as well. My cooperating teacher once told me it's not how much you accomplish but if you learned it along the way. She wouldn't try to rush through things when a day of school was missed for a snow day or something, but just try to get back on track with where her class was at. Always being on her feet ready for everything! Note the small things :)



So... these are just some of my ideas so far! I want to remember all these useful tidbits of advice for when I start to teach! I'm sure they will come in handy! There is so many more, and I'm sure there will be some to add as well! Can't wait to use it soon!!!

No comments: