Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"Lions for Lambs" Reflection

Lions for Lambs was a great movie. I thought it was very attention grabbing, but also had a great message. I feel like the main theme of the video was taking the extra time to reach out to students of potential. Like we discussed in class, it is far too often that the students who are doing best in school are ignored. In the movie, the boy who is starting to slack on his actual potential is targeted. I think this was a very neat thing to show in a movie, because I feel it reminds us that we need to catch students being good. As teachers, like Robert Redford states, we are salespeople. We need to sell the students to themselves and convince them of their underlying abilities. Also as teachers we need to ask ourselves, what are our motives to teaching? I feel once we have that established, it's much easier to teach students to reach their true potential. Good teaching is a variety of assets, but this one is one of the more important I feel.

No comments: